How To Transport Someone in a Wheelchair
Let’s say you want to transport an elderly loved one or a mobility-impaired family member to a doctor’s appointment. If you’re like most working Americans, you likely drive a sedan or an SUV. Unless you’ve customized your car for wheelchair transportation, it probably lacks specialized features that make transporting a wheelchair-bound individual easier.
We have put together a step-by-step guide on how to put a wheelchair patient comfortably into a standard car.
- Open the door of the vehicle and put the wheelchair as close to the car as you can.
- Don’t forget to check if the lock brakes on the wheelchair are enabled before you start transferring the wheelchair user into the car.
- Put a safety belt around the wheelchair user’s hip area. This will keep them safe while transferring them between the wheelchair and the car.
- Many wheelchairs will allow you to remove footrests or swing them out to make transferring easier. Don’t forget to use this feature if the wheelchair has it.
- Slide the car seat as far back as you can. You want to have as much room for the transfer as possible.
- Slowly move the wheelchair user to the edge of the wheelchair seat.
- While they are sitting at the edge of the wheelchair seat, tell them to lean in toward you to help ease body weight and make moving them from the wheelchair to the vehicle easier.
- Make sure the wheelchair user is putting their hands and weight on the wheelchair’s armrests rather than on you. You must always be ready to prevent a slip-up or a fall.
- The wheelchair user should be able to apply enough pressure on the wheelchair’s armrests to begin lifting themselves out of the wheelchair.
- Make sure you have a strong grasp on the wheelchair user. If they have weak knees, be sure to line up your knees with them to provide extra support when you lift them.
- Help the wheelchair user turn their body so that it’s facing the open vehicle door. If they bend their knees, it will be easier to raise them and get them into the car safely and comfortably.
Where Can I Find Reliable Wheelchair Car Transportation in Asheville?
If transporting an elderly loved one or mobility-impaired family member seems too difficult or risky, or you’re a wheelchair-bound individual who lacks a caretaker or feels they don’t need one, consider personal transportation services. Here at Loyal Lifts, we’re proud to say we’re Asheville’s leading provider of non-emergency transportation for residents who are permanently disabled or temporarily disabled due to injury, illness, or age. You can rely on Loyal Lifts and our customized, luxury vehicle for a comfortable and classy ride.
Our Transportation Services in Asheville
We offer door-to-door service in Asheville, Hendersonville, Weaverville, and surrounding areas with a variety of transportation needs for our clients. Let us transport you in style to any event or appointment, including:
- Airport Pickup
- Hotel Shuttle
- Special Event Transportation (Wedding, Funerals, Holiday Gathering, and Family Reunions)
- Non-Emergency Doctor Visit or Medical Appointment Transportation
- Shopping and Sightseeing
- And More!
Loyal Lifts is dedicated to helping you. We make sure that you or your loved one receive excellent wheelchair-accessible transportation they need from the comfort of their own home. We provide reliable and caring door-to-door transportation in Western North Carolina for clients with all types of special needs. Just give us a call to arrange an appointment for pick-up with our highly trained and professional drivers.
Looking for more tips? Read our article, How To Get to Weddings, Birthdays, and Special Occasions With Your Wheelchair.