Ideas for Fun Activities for Seniors and the Disabled Asheville, NC
The mountains of North Carolina hold a wealth of cultural heritage, artistic talent, beautiful views, and delicious meals to be had. Whether you are a tourist stopping through or a life-long resident looking for a new adventure, Asheville, NC, plays host to a variety of the best places to visit in the entire state.
Fun Activities for Seniors and the Disabled Asheville, NC
Navigating old buildings with tight hallways and steep stairwells or miles of rocky trails can be more than a minor inconvenience to seniors or disabled individuals with limited mobility. But the reality of wilderness or historic buildings won’t stop you from seeing Asheville at its finest.
There are many accessible attractions throughout the Asheville area that will make for a fun day out. We have collected our top three picks below for culture, food, and viewing the great outdoors.
- Southern Highland Craft Guild: Enjoy an exhibit of the finest artistry of traditional and modern crafts along the Blue Ridge Mountains. Hosts a gallery and shop open every day.
- Wortham Center for the Performing Arts: Located right downtown, this theater hosts a range of performances and shows from acts across the US and internationally.
- Biltmore Estate: No Asheville list is complete without this iconic estate. The historic nature of the building limits access to some areas, but the main and second floors are accessible and most of the grounds. Accessible parking and shuttle service are provided from Lot B.
- Carrier Park: Located in west Asheville, this city park boasts a beautiful paved trail, picnic tables, and other amenities if you are doing a day out with family.
- Botanical Gardens at Asheville: Whether you wander on your own or participate in a guided nature walk, this beautiful 10-acre botanical garden hosts plants native to the Southern Appalachians.
- North Carolina Arboretum: Based on the vision of Frederick Law Olmsted, the Father of American Landscape Architecture, this 434-acre public garden strives to have as many of its gardens and scenic trails as accessible as possible.
- Hole Doughnuts: Our breakfast location pick. They hand make delicious yeasted donuts to order. Grab a sweet treat and coffee with friends before heading out for the rest of the day.
- Buxton Hall Barbecue: If you are craving some Carolina barbecue for lunch or dinner, head to this downtown joint.
- Asheville Brewing Company: This brewing company hosts three brew-pub locations around the city. It’s the spot to be if you’d like to enjoy the local brewery scene and get some delicious food in a laid-back atmosphere.
Accessible Transportation Around Asheville
If you are headed out for a fun adventure around Asheville and need reliable transportation, Loyal Lifts provides chauffeur quality personal service. We will take you door to door in a custom luxury vehicle. We are locally owned and operated, so we know our way around Asheville and pride ourselves on the best service.
So if you are visiting and need specialized shuttle service to and from the airport or transportation to a special event, contact us to set up your appointment today.